Tuesday, November 17, 2015

World Map Sign

I know, I know, I tend to stay away from the airway for far to long! I’m hoping next year will be better as I try to straighten out my life, but hey, at least I’m getting my house there!

Right, so on to my latest project!

The infamous map sign!! I’ve been taunted by a world map sign I saw at Ikea a few months back, but with a hefty price tag of $150, I decided then and there that I could and would do it myself. Rather than on canvas like the one at the store, I wanted to recreate it on actual wood, so that’s exactly what I did.

Now a little disclaimer here: it wasn’t hard to do yet it took me forever to actually get it done. I partially blame my husband for that because he and I tend NOT to see eye to eye on things. Since we planned to hang it in our room, I owed it to him to compromise. That being said, we talked in length about every little detail. Again this is hard when you tend to look at the big picture and he looks at each and every detail. But we got it done (thank goodness)!

As you look at the pictures below, I hope you notice that there were several times I could have stopped and called it done, but I didn’t. I had a picture in my head and though, lengthy, this was the process I needed to take in order to get my final result. One thing I will say, is if you have your heart set on something, go for it. Don’t stop half way through, I promise it makes it that much better!

STEP 1: So first things first, I went the easy route (talk about this later), and purchased a world map stencil on sale, from Target. Once I had my stencil, I measured how far around the actual stencil I wanted to go considering the placement of it over my headboard. After that, I purchase 1x4 wood from Home Depot and cut down to size.

STEP 2: Stain all pieces of wood. I thought it would be better to stain everything rather than putting it together and then staining. I’m sure either way would work but I didn’t want any raw wood showing in between the slats so to be certain, I stained each piece first then screwed it all together (screwing in from the back).

IMG_4470

IMG_4471

STEP 3: I wanted a 2” boarder on my sign so I measured and taped off all the way around the sign.

IMG_4472

STEP 4: Center and apply stencil. Ok, this was the tricky part and most time consuming. This stencil hung on for dear life and did not, I repeat, DID NOT, want to come off of the plastic. This was supposed to be the easy part. Peel backing, apply stencil, remove plastic, voilà - stencil in place. NOPE, not the case at all! I had to fight every step of the way get this onto the wood. In fact I believe I lost an island. Regardless, it finally stuck and like I said before, I could have stopped at this point, but did not.

IMG_4475

STEP 5: The reason I was sold on buying a stencil is because I had in my mind that I wanted to dry brush this sign. The best way to do this in my opinion is to do it over a sticker or tape, which will prevent it from bleeding too badly. The tricky part was getting around the smaller pieces of vinyl so rather than brushing directly onto the vinyl, I brushed around it then blotted over with a dry rag.

Again, this would be another good stopping point but I had my eye on the prize and wasn’t stopping here either.

IMG_4476 IMG_4478

STEP 6: After I removed the tape and stencil, I painted another coat of Dark Walnut stain and removed with a dry rag. This gave it the effect I wanted and imagined it to look like.

Now, a month later and weighing about 50lbs, it’s hanging on my wall and I couldn’t be more in love with it!

IMG_4490 IMG_4493

Hope you enjoyed as much as I did!

Rita

3 comments:

Twice Nice said...

I LOVE this!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that looks awesome- love the two toned stains!

momtofatdogs said...

This is really beautiful Rita! You outdid yourself. All that work paid off.

Sam