Monday, June 22, 2015

Warning: Particle Board is not your Friend!

Do you remember the story of the three little pigs and the big bad wolf? The story went something like this: the first pig made a house out of sticks, the second out of who knows what (I’m pretty sure it was particle board) and the third made his out of bricks, right? Well the wolf ultimately blew through the first two houses but couldn’t blow down the third.  Why?? Because, the third pig didn’t use the fake stuff.  So when I say “stay away from particle board for something you need long term”, I mean it.

I’m not saying, swear it off completely. It comes in handy for some things (that escape me at the moment), but it will serve a purpose. AS FAR AS repurposing it, giving it a coat of paint, that sort of thing…well that’s where the problems start. You can add a primer, you can lightly sand it and hope the paper doesn’t peel, because it will, but ultimately it’s harder to work with than real wood. It also won’t last very long. But then again, did it stop me from painting these guys?? Of course not!

These nightstands, belong to a good friend of mine and she asked me to fix them up for her teenaged daughter’s room. Like I said before, they work for the interim but I didn’t put as much effort into them like I would have loved to. I simply gave them a couple coats of grey paint (which she gave me) and new handles because no one likes having eyesores in their room, am I right?!  Plus she’s a teenager and that crap is important.  I mean that ranks right up there with bills and healthcare to us adults!! Just can’t have ugly nightstands in your room GASP!

So here’s what we were dealing with:

IMG_4057 IMG_4060 IMG_4061

And now (for like 20 minutes):

IMG_4068 

IMG_4066 

Considering what they looked like before, I still think they are tons better!

~Rita

3 comments:

Twice Nice said...

Tomorrow I am putting that same hardware on a custom piece I finished. Love it! Rita, these nightstands don't even look like the ones you began with at all. They look fabulous! Good save I say!!

Kammy Wielenga said...

You're BACK on the the Korner!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!! Those are awesome drawer pulls, haven't seen those yet!! And your story made me smile. Amen, we are so alike. I'll paint them too if I gotta. :)

Tami Michel said...

Super cute hardware! :)