Friday, February 27, 2015

Our Sister Road Trip!

Have you ever had the chance to go to thrift stores all over a city you don’t live in and experience the high of rummaging through unconquered territory?? I have to say the feeling is quite remarkable. To put it into terms a Fashionista would understand (which is not me by a long shot)…it’s like getting the chance to rummage through your new friends closet and picking out what you want. Only it doesn’t stop at just one. You have a day of digging through multiple friends’ closets. You get to look at their scarves, shoes, shirts, skirts… and it’s all yours for the taking!! Have I peaked your mind yet???

Ok now pretend you have one day to do it and only a few hours to do it in. And not only that, you are looking for something specific and times running out. Boo… yeah it’s not quite the high you were hoping for and quite frankly it blows tissue puffs! (This is my new expression)

This is the scenario of what I did this past weekend. My sister Andrea and I moved our younger sister Olivia, to her new home of Austin Texas.

We got up early on Saturday morning and came back the same night, so we were limited in our “shopping around Austin” time. Once Liv gave us the list of items she still needed for her new place, we busted out my phone and mapped the top thrift stores in Austin. You KNOW I was on cloud nine when I heard about our venture. It was like someone poured coffee on me and it electrified every little tendon in my thrift store loving system. It was on!

BUT…..a few hours and over 10 thrift stores later…we found one single side chair. That’s it. Nothing more. And you have to know that we were like mad women in search of a treasure!! The hardest part was that we didn’t have time to really RUMMAGE through all the other goods the stores had to offer. We were on a time crunch after all ;(

It was pretty defeating not to have found what we were looking for, but it didn’t take long for us to realize that at the end of the day, it didn’t really matter all that much after all. Just spending the day together (like crazed women) in a new city was quite awesome! We laughed like crazy, talked about life, dreams, passions, kids, art, creativity, just about everything really. We learned a lot about each other on this little road trip even when we were delirious near the end. I found out that one sister is to espresso as I am to wine. We gave one sis a new nickname... Big Silky! We were inspired by all of what Austin has to offer (see photo below). Liv Facebooked my quote of the day “Either do what you  LOVE today or want to stab your eyes our tomorrow’ which was said to her when discussing following your dreams.

IMG_3544 
           (Vintage awesomeness found in  Liv’s new home! Care of Austin Texas!!)

It was truly a great day regardless of the non-thrift store finds. What we found was more than any thrift store treasure had to offer. So here’s to road trips, sisters, espresso, old school music, and quotable quotes!

Love you girls!
Rita

3 comments:

Olivia said...

"I can't drive until I have lipgloss on my lips." - Yes, you are indeed the quotable queen. That's your new nickname, haha.

Honestly though, that day was so much fun! Sorry you had to drive to all those thrift stores without getting to rummage. That analogy had me laughing. It was literally like dangling coffee beans and chocolate in front of your face without the means to reach for it. SO SAD! But I'm sure there will be plenty "next time's" and I look forward to it :):):)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

ha ha! love the hostess sign, but i think my favorite is your quote of the day. sounds like something sarah or i might say about sweet clover.

Tami @ Curb Alert! said...

My sister would Never be caught thrifting with me, just not her thing...but the time spent together is always priceless no matter what we do!