Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Wood on Wood is Good!

Ya’ll, I”m not even gonna lie, I did not think this would come out as good as it did! I tend to stay away from staining wood if at all possible UNLESS it is only a part of the piece that is being stained and my heart screams for me to stain it.

Refresher: this is what I had to work with:

IMG_3588 IMG_3590 IMG_3591 IMG_3593

My aunt Rita purchased this for her guest bedroom and wanted it to be more of a red oak color to match her current furniture style.  She gave me one of her bed spindles to match the color with.  I have to say, it wasn’t that dramatic so I seriously doubted myself in getting the color dead on. The other problem, which is my sole hesitation in restaining anything, is that you have to really get everything off before applying the new stain or it will show right through. So every little nook and cranny you see here, had to be sanded.

Now, I don’t know if there is an easier way to do this but my first step was to sand all the flat edges. Thank goodness they came off like a charm! When I got to all the rounded edges, it became more difficult so I went from my rotary sander to hand sanding everything.  That was more tiresome obviously but over the course of a few weekends, it eventually came off.

Oh and I bought some sand deglosser that my Home Depot guy said would help with those hard to reach places…DON’T BUY IT, HE LIED! It didn’t do anything at all!

And now here she is in all her Red Oak Glory!

IMG_3598 IMG_3599 IMG_3602 IMG_3604 IMG_3606 IMG_3607

At the end of the day, my Aunt Rita was happy, her great niece Rita was happy and I think if this dresser (who in my good opinion should also be named Rita) could talk, she’d be happy too!

In desperate need of a massage,

Rita

2 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

this is a gorgeous piece! i love the wood!

Twice Nice said...

You did a beautiful job!! It looks gorgeous and I'll bet it feels buttery smooth. All the Rita's are happy so life is good!