Friday, June 13, 2014

Pallet Art

I’ve always wanted to create “something” from a pallet and I finally got my chance when my friend Cindy asked me to be on the look out for a piece of wood we could make a sign out of. She sent me a picture of what she was looking for so I knew about what size it needed to be and began my hunt.

I ended up finding the perfect piece the other day at Home Depot while Sam and I were looking for flooring. Yet another project we’re working on around the house  Anyway, I found this small pallet (smaller than the typical pallet size) but it was perfect! I talked the guy in to letting me take it (thank you Mr. Kind Home Depot Employee) and sent a pic to Cindy for her approval.

  IMG_3525

The sign needed to say “Smith Fab 5” and the colors she wanted were blue and brown.  So my original idea was to stain it and paint the face blue with wood stain coming through. It didn’t quite work that way and I ended up going a different route but in the picture below you can see the stain I started out with. It looked pretty nasty!

Since I would be painting this freehanded,  I drew myself some guides so that  it wouldn’t look too terrible.
(tip: I used a chalk pen to draw my lines and letters so I could erase them easily)

IMG_3531

I know that looks really gross but I painted over it so we’re good now!

Here’s the result.  A rustic pallet wall art! 

IMG_3556
IMG_3557 IMG_3560

Pallet art…CHECK!

Have a great Friday and a Happy Weekend!

Rita

6 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that looks perfect, rita! i love the writing and the finish!

Twice Nice said...

Aren't pallet projects fun?! I have a ton "pinned" for some day. Great job Rita!

momtofatdogs said...

Very Sweet! (Have you ever looked at the stuff that the girl from 3 Mango Seeds does?)

Sam

holli said...

That is a perfect sized pallet! I like what you did. Too cute. I want to make something as well but threw away my pallets when i moved.

Kre8ive Life said...

I too have dreams of creating some pallet art. I haven't got to it yet. but once again YOU have inspired me. I love coming back and visiting your blog

momma_drea said...

I wont one. : )