Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Fulfilling Frame Fix

You know that feeling you get when you want to do something, anything creative but you don’t know what it is and you’re to lazy to figure it out???? Well goodness almighty that’s where I’ve been this past week!! I just needed a small little creative fix without busting out the tarp, tools and paint cans. 

I actually had this in the back of my mind to do but hadn’t gotten around to it. Now I’m glad I did!

I don’t remember if I mentioned while we were in Austin, Sammy took me on a day of THRIFTING. Yes… A DAY OF THRIFTING (sound gates of heaven opening and little angels singing)!! Unfortunately, he didn’t quite share my enthusiasm as he asked to use my hand sanitizer a few times and even at one point said I should be wearing gloves.  It sometimes cracks me up how different we are. I’m in hog heaven while he’s kind of in hell :( I do have to say that he was a great sport about it!

In one of the thrift stores we visited, I found these great frames for $5 each. They were a great size and too good to pass up so I bought them.

IMG_3438 

I had already envisioned using these to place over the stupid ugly Ikea shelf in my living room that Sammy wants to keep. I really don’t hate it that much, I guess I just hate the idea of it if that makes sense?? It’s basically everything I don’t like in furniture…too new, way to straight lined, DARK BROWN (blagh!), no character…Ok I guess I do hate it but that’s not the point! The point is, with any marriage, you have to compromise. He wants to keep the shelf, I hate to look at it so I’m adding something nice to that area!

What I decided on were these three map prints my sister Olivia gave me for Christmas. They are perfect to add to a cool piece of furniture which I still intend to do however, I knew they’d be perfect for my pictures as well.

IMG_3443

I measured the size of the frame and subtracted 4 inches to get the size I wanted for the print.  This would allow for 2” on each side.  The good part was I just used the paper that was already in the frame as the background. I just turned it around and used the white side then centered the map and taped it down using double sided tape.

IMG_3444 

While I cut and taped, I had Ashley paint my wood frames. We picked a kind of tan color that would pop against the wall but still tie into the maps.

IMG_3451 IMG_3461-002

TOTAL COST: $15.00

TOTAL TIME SPENT: 1 1/2 – 2 Hours (drying time – two coats)

IMG_3474 Cur

I still need to add some small things to put on top of this shelf but that’ll come later. For now I can at least just smile when I look over at that area and see these pretty pictures smiling right back.

2 comments:

holli said...

They look great!! So if he insists on the shelf, are you at least allowed to paint it? Ilove those map prints.

monkey said...

rita wow i just read about 100 of your blogs from the archives and this year and you know what i really like you as a person... you are funny, honest, creative and most importantly to me real.. i sign up to get emails from you i am not a blogger and i am looking forward to reading more blogs and seeing all of the great things you create xx