Wednesday, January 22, 2014

What I’ve Learned About Painting Furniture

…well a lot of things, but one thing in particular is I really love the painting part, just not the mending part. I can paint to my heart’s content in any color, any hardware, and any finish I choose, but the one thing I’m finding more and more that I don’t like, is all the fixing. I used to think if it was broke, I COULD FIX IT (said to the tune of Wreck-It Ralph). Yeah not so much.  Gluing… yes, gluing is my thing.

IMG_3220

Don’t get me wrong, I like fixer uppers, but I’m getting less fond of the “fixing” these days. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve nailed through furniture I was working on, squashed my finger with a hammer, stapled and it didn’t go all the way through so I had to hammer the dang thing in…sometimes it’s awful. I just don’t like it. And yes I see lots of people (girls in particular) with table saws (I should never be around one of those) or nail guns, and blog posts that read “easy DIY…” and to that I say, “You Go Girl!”, More power to you and I salute you! You are WOMAN, I will hear you ROAR from your workshop consisting of fine workman tools…but for me…I will glue. I will staple and hammer it down but that is the extent of what I will be fixing because I want to keep my fingers!

So if you’re like me, don’t be ashamed that you “can’t” and work with what you “can”! For me it’s Gorilla Glue and a clamp and I’m not embarrassed to admit that!

My name is Rita, I like to paint, not so much fix, furniture, and this is my new motto:

“I GLUE, and that's good. I will never TABLE SAW, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.”
Thank you Wreck-It Ralph!

1 comment:

James Soafs said...

What a nice art. thanks for sharing.
Furniture packages