Monday, January 20, 2014

There’s No “Crap” In Art’s and Crafts

Even when you think it is crap, it’s not!

Case in point:
I had it in my mind to create an embossed picture to hang on my picture wall. I had the glass and frame, given to me by my precious cousin Julia, embossing spray I picked up at a yard sale for a quarter, my letters and tape. I was good to go!

I laid out all my materials, started taping off my glass and I used a ruler and everything. I was so proud of myself. Then I started spelling out my words.

If you follow me on instagram @ritamakessunshine then you saw my preparations.
photo 1 (2)   photo 2

That’s about as far as I got before the “crap” hit the fan!
When I went to spray my embossing spray….IT CAME OUT YELLOW!!!!  I had a can of YELLOW STAINED GLASS spray which tells me I obviously picked up the wrong can at that stupid yard sale AND on top of that, my picture was ruined. GASP!!
WHAT COULD I POSSIBLY DO NOW?! All I could think now was to hurry and wipe it down with a paper towel so that’s what I did. I took as much of the yellow (oily mess) off of my glass and had to come up with plan B. Oh and Sammy if your read this, I’m sorry again for taking my frustration out on you. It’s not your fault, I couldn’t even look past the fact that the lid on the spray can was YELLOW! HELLO, OBVIOUS! I was seriously a mess!

Plan B consisted of coating it with white spray paint which was all I could think of that would cover it, so I took it outside and painted it white.

I will say that after a few coats of spray paint, it was enough to cover BUT, you can still see this nonsense:

IMG_3196

Yep, that there is  left over yellow stained glass goo you’re looking at.

So, yes, I hate that I didn’t catch it previously and saved myself grief, but in the long run, this:

IMG_3194

doesn’t over take the look of THIS, in the grand scheme of things does it?!

IMG_3188

IMG_3186

Not to mention, it has a funny story to it. And who will look at it that close anyway, right? (Please don’t come to my house and look at it too close ok?) Thanks!

4 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that turned out GREAT! love the look of the typography!

holli said...

Love it and its such a great idea to use the love plaque!

Tami Michel said...

It looks perfect. Your post caught me right away as Tom always teases that I am shopping at the Arts and Crap department!

Nadine @ Chic with the Kool-Aid Mustache said...

When I was an Art student in college I spent hours and hours on a two colored pen and ink drawing of this really cool plant and it came out really really nice and I was just as happy as could be with it...since I have a twitch when I'm to tense and concentrating, for me to complete a pen and ink drawing with a smudge or blob of random ink was quite the feat. It was accepted for out gallery showing so I went to have it mounted and subsequently splashed my coffee on it! I framed it anyway and it's still hanging in my house, coffee stain and all!