Thursday, January 23, 2014

How Do You Paint?

Do you every pay attention to how you paint? Do you ever pay attention to how you hold a pen to write?  I got to looking at my hands when I was painting and noticed, though it varies in what position I’m in at the time, that I tend to grasp the hole brush in my hand (picture A) and never just by the handle (picture B).

A.
IMG_3206

B.
IMG_3211

I call picture B- the Mr. Miayagi way of holding it. Remember the “paint the fence” scene in Karate Kid? Long strokes up and down…no, before your time? Ok, well the way he had Daniel hold the brush was by the handle. I have trouble with holding the brush by the handle. I don’t feel like I have enough control of it. It just feels awkward to me.
I tend to hold the whole brush in my hand, or use my index finger like I would when I hold a pen. (picture C).

C.
IMG_3212

This post really isn’t going anywhere other than to show you there’s no wrong or right way to paint. You should use whatever method works for you. It’s just like when you are writing and how the way you hold your pen affects your penmanship. Same concept and bottom line is do what works best for you. I’m sure the way I hold a pen differs from how you hold yours, right ?!

IMG_3203IMG_3207

You’d think the answer to this question is a given, but you’d be surprised how many times I’ve been asked that. Ok, it was maybe like 2 but still, you never know who is embarrassed to ask it so I thought I’d go ahead and nip that in the bud and answer it for you. I mean, what kind of friend would I be if I kept that information private. ; )

Remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question, and I’m not a professional, but I’ll always help, so keep the questions coming and if you leave it on a comment, make sure I can email you back. The “no-reply-blogger thing” is a pain in the patoot and I can’t answer you that way. OR if it’s easier email me rdmireles@gmail.com.

Thanks for listening to this not so brilliant post hee hee!

No comments: