Monday, November 25, 2013

Thanksgiving Banner

I heard about the DARE TO DIY contest going on over at a few blogs, including one of my favorites, Primitive and Proper so HOW could I pass it up??

If you know me, you know I am all over this!! This week is about “Giving Thanks”. I will say it is hard to come up with something Thanksgiving Themed simply because, ‘what’s NOT been done’. But it doesn’t really have to stop at doing the same ‘ol thing. There are so many possibilities when you add your own special twist! That’s what led me to this:  I thought about what I could make. Anything besides cooking which I’m simply horrible at or drawing a turkey for that matter! To me, Thanksgiving is my time to reflect on what I’m thankful  to have been a part of this year. So when asked the question, my first thought was immediately my family. I will always be thankful for my family first, but the second was Tubby and having him pass this year. Anyone who doesn’t know, Tubby was our Chow we lost a few months ago. He left a pretty big hole in our hearts that we are still trying to fill. That’s when this idea of a Thanksgiving Picture Banner came into play. I’m sure they are all over the place and it’s been done umpteen times, so I added a small little twist.

My Thanksgiving Banner didn’t cost a penny to  make as I used what I had (again, another ME thing!). I wanted a banner that all of my guests could participate in by bringing a photo or symbol of something that they were thankful for this year.

Here’s how I did it: I started with my supplies ( and I forgot to add my glue gun but you’ll need that).

IMG_2879

You’ll need cardstock however I had some old cards that have been in my closet forever so I just used those. I’m sure EVERYONE has old Christmas cards they can use as well. Cut those in half and you’ll use the white side to decoupage your paper to.

IMG_2884IMG_2887

My little twist was to use  old cookbook pages. I found one at  an estate sale for a quarter this past summer. I found some cute old recipes that I cut out to use as my background  (just have to add that I found a recipe for a Chocolate Malt and about died! Whomever this belonged to… AMEN SISTER!)

IMG_2894

I cut some old recipe pages down to a little bigger than my cardstock. I then used my mod podge to cover the cardstock. The tip when decoupaging is to not apply the paper right way. I blow on it first for like 3 seconds then apply. You don’t want it to wet or the paper will bubble but not to dry either or it won’t stick. (Rules…rules!!)

IMG_2896IMG_2897

When you’re done, flip it over and trim the access. Then reapply a coat of mod podge and allow to dry.

IMG_2899IMG_2898

Once it’s dry go ahead and cut the bottom to look like a banner and also hole punch the edges.  I never measure anything so if your OCD kicks in you may want a ruler at this point. I say that lovingly as I have a daughter who measures EVERYTHING! Drives me nuts!

IMG_2902

I had some old tiny clothespins that I got from who knows when, that would work for this project. Again, paper clips work just as well and you won’t need the hot glue gun.  I tried to put glue directly on the tiny, itty bitty clothes pin and decided I didn’t want a hot glue gun burn so I opted to place a bead of glue down the center top of the card, and pressed the clothes pin on firmly. MUCH EASIER!

IMG_2907IMG_2917
IMG_2918

Lastly, I inserted the twine and hung my banner.
IMG_2923

I went ahead and started with a picture of Tubby and Ashley added a picture of her Washington Trip.
Again, it can be symbols, pictures, or anything.
IMG_2933
IMG_2940

Hope you enjoyed,

Rita


8 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

this is ADORABLE, rita! what a sweet and personal banner!

michelle@decorandthedog said...

You totally nailed the "been done but do it better" thing. I love the use of the vintage cookbook!

Gretchen@BoxyColonial said...

nice! love how you've recycled the old recipe pages :)

holli said...

seriously the cutest!!!! I love your idea of using the recipe pages. I'm still so sorry for your loss of sweet furry baby. Hugs!

Rachel said...

This is great! I love the cookbook pages, and so awesome to have your guests contribute pictures. Awesome!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I love the idea of using the recipes - so clever for Thanksgiving and a different take on a great project. I also love the shape of your banners!

Thanks for linking up!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I love the idea of using the recipes - so clever for Thanksgiving and a different take on a great project. I also love the shape of your banners!

Thanks for linking up!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This is such a clever idea - I love the shape of your pennants and that you used cookbook pages. Perfect for Thanksgiving!

Thanks for linking up to Dare to DIY!