Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Black Beauty

This weekend was a nice one considering the tax free weekend, but Sammy and I got a date night in and I got a couple of things painted! Not to mention some much needed errands were checked off the list like a trip to the optometrist.  By the way, don’t use Visine daily, I think the doc may have pooped his pants as he darted across the counter to give me better eye drops for my eyes!! EEK!

We also buried one of Brianna’s pet rats – Nick this weekend. He was one of our newest members and although I didn’t spend much time with him, I have to say I was a bit teary eyed when he passed. I know Brianna will really miss him.

As far as the rest of the weekend, I worked, watched Pacific Rim with Sam and have to say it was pretty good considering it is a total guy flick. I mean, TOTAL guy flick! Robots and Aliens…yeah not my cup of tea!

This is the piece I worked on in the over 100 degree temperature. Yes I’m crazy!

IMG_2657

I decided to paint it black and I’ll give my feedback on that in a bit, but first here it is after:

IMG_2660IMG_2664IMG_2665IMG_2667

And here’s a better one of the stupid handle!

IMG_2666

I still plan on putting a wax coating over this but for now here it is ALMOST done!

So you all know I’m all about “use what you have”. Don’t spend money if you don’t have to. Well, case in point, I used some black paint I had on hand which is the readymade Rust-oleum Black paint from Home Depot.

Typically I use this small can I have to tint colors or use as an accent color, but really never to paint an entire piece of furniture.  I really don’t know why I don’t use it more often, guess because it’s not gray, haha! Well,  I don’t know if it had to do with the weather, but it really came out quite thick and after two coats (my usual) you could see my brush strokes and it looked bad.  I mean, kind of like when you see furniture with a bad paint job and you want to strip it and start over. …yeah well this was my end result…NOT GOOD!  The shine from the semi-gloss didn’t help either.

I didn’t get a picture of what it looked like after I was done painting it, mostly because I was determined not to have it look like that for long. Instead,  I took a sanding block and went to town sanding the entire piece.  This gave it a dull black look that was much better than the shiny mess it was before.

I’ve seen a lot of milk paint pieces in black that look beautiful. It seems to go on so smoothly without these dreaded lines and super thick paint. I can’t wait to try for myself and give you a review! But first Sammy needs to buy me the paint. Of course he doesn’t know that he’ll buy me some yet but I’ll be sending him subliminal messages tonight as he sleeps (trust that).

THEN there were issues with the hardware…oh the hardware!!  I contemplated filling the holes and inserting knobs instead but it was so darn hot I decided to paint the original pulls and be done with it.  They were brass and ugly so I thought silver on black would be prettier. So what do I do? I spray paint them silver and ended up with plastic looking hardware.  They didn’t look that bad until they were on the drawers and then the black really set off the plastic look they were not supposed to be going for. I told Sammy and Ashley to see what they thought and while Ashley liked it, Sammy said the hardware looked weird. That was the first thing he noticed. CRAP!

The only thing I could think to do was rough them up with the sanding block a little so some of the brass peaked out and hope like heck it looked ok.  I get asked all the time how I learned how to paint furniture… TOTALLY TRIAL AND ERROR!

Hope you have a good week! Rita

4 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

well it still looks great! but yes, you know how i feel about black milk paint by general finishes!

Twice Nice said...

I've never tried the rustoleum but I have thought about it. Thanks for the caution! I think the black looks great now so your plan worked. I've been having lots of those "regroup" moments lately too so I feel your pain. I think the solution on the hardware looks absolutely fine. Good job, hope the weather gives you a break from the heat soon!

Tami Michel said...

I totally get that "trial and error" approach! Good for you watching that guy flick movie, Im not that nice of a wife!
Tami

Tami Michel said...

PS I purchased some milk paint a few weeks ago but not tried it yet. I am chicken of our 100degree heat over here!