Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Never judge a book by it’s cover, nor a picture by it’s frame!

I found these cute pictures the other day and fell in love with the simplicity of the picture, not to mention the fact that they’re old. I really love old stuff!

They were 50 cents apiece and although they had pretty banged up frames, I didn’t want to purchase new ones so I decided to paint them a neutral color to go with the pictures inside.

IMG_2560IMG_2562

It may be a little hard to see the picture against my wood table…sorry didn’t think about that before shooting the photo.

I wanted to use a color for the frame that would stay true to the picture, so I went with my Old Ochre from Annie Sloan and gave the frames some light sanding to show the angles and edges of these older frames.  Now I don’t know that there are actually people who will look at these pictures and think “oooooohhh….look at those angles and edges…” but then again you can never be too sure!

Here they are after the first coat:

IMG_2564 

And after the sanding:

IMG_2576IMG_2578  IMG_2579IMG_2583

And in case you were wondering, those pictures are stitched, not painted. I can really picture these in a nursery because they’re so precious.

Remember, there are TONS of picture frame ideas out there, all of which give old frames much needed facelifts without breaking the bank. So don’t be afraid to paint on your old frames. I promise…they’ll love you for it!

Have a great rest of the week, I know I’ll try too!
Rita

3 comments:

Stephanie Gonzalez said...

These are so incredibly sweet! I love all of the dips and lines you brought out in the frames. Another fantastic job.

Twice Nice said...

Sweet! Think of the hours someone put into all of those stitches. I can never look at needlework without thinking of the artist and how much time it must have taken them to complete the piece.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

oh i think they are so sweet! the newly painted frames are SO much better!