Monday, May 13, 2013

The Surgery That Wasn't :(

Hi guys… it turns out I haven’t had my surgery yet so I wanted to quickly update you on the fun fiasco I endured this weekend.

FRIDAY…I got to the hospital at 5 in the morning. I was prepped for surgery, eventually wheeled off and good to go.

Then…I woke up… to a lady I vaguely remember saying….”Rita…Rita…we canceled your surgery”. It was in that voice you hear on the movies when someone is talking in slow motion and their face is a blur and you can’t make heads or tails of what the hell is going on or where you are. Yep… It was one of those moments.

I sort of remember being wheeled back into the room and someone saying they were going to call my family. Again, everything is hazy and I don’t remember much at all at this point.

Come to find out the surgery was cancelled because they couldn’t get the tubes I needed to breath down my throat! Imagine that, the one skinny thing I have is a skinny throat! They tried for a little over an hour before giving up and calling it quits.

I was told I could leave the hospital after drinking water, eating a cracker and using the restroom. The hardest part of that whole process was eating and drinking. My throat was as raw as could be and I even had a small cut on the corner of my mouth where I assume they tried to open it further than it would go. Saying it sucked was the understatement of the world! Granted, I can be a wee bit dramatic, but holy crap was I in pain. I couldn’t talk, eat or drink. Not to mention that Anesthesia was all in my system so I was nauseous and dizzy.

Eventually I made myself eat a couple of bites of the cracker but had to soak them with water to get it down.
After leaving the hospital, I was out of it for the rest of the day. Sammy tried to get me to eat mashed potatoes but I stopped after a few bites because of the pain.

That pretty much summed up the weekend. I ate what I could and sucked on lozengers all weekend. In fact I’m down to my last two!! Oh but I did manage to lose TWO POUNDS since Friday (Rainbow colored glasses people).

I don’t have a new date set yet, but as soon as I do, I’ll let you know.
Thanks again for thinking of me and my 'almost' surgery. I appreciate you all and Happy Belated Mother’s Day!!

Rita

6 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

WOW, rita- that is insane!!!! you make me laugh though anyhow. :) always a good attitude and i love it!
hang in there.. hope your throat is feeling better.

Twice Nice said...

Even with bad news you made me smile (2 pounds!. So congrats on the weight loss and that's a bummer about the surgery and the mess with your poor throat. Hope they have a better plan for next time!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh no, that sounds terrible! Hope you are healing well! And hopefully the next time will go much better!

momtofatdogs said...

Wow! I was worried about you becasue I had not seen any posts, turns out we NEEDED to be worried about you.

One day while I'm out junking, I'm going to find you a pair of sunglasses like Elton John wears...rainbows & all & I am gonna send them to you! (you EVER actually SEE what he wears?????)

Sam

Chris Dodaj said...

I was thinking of you!!! OMG yes, I remember my cycstectomy last year my throat killing after the surgery.

This time not so bad at all. Keep us posted!!

Eve here at Glitzalicious Gifts said...

So sorry Rita,
I don't know what type of surgery you had planned, but any type takes courage. I hope you can get it done and dusted, and heal well and quickly. All the best, Eve