Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Stencils!! The Cheap way!

The good thing about a stencil is that it doesn’t necessarily have to be the typical “stencil” you find at the store. If you’re lucky enough to have a circuit machine, making your own stencil isn’t a problem, but let’s be honest, not all of us can afford a circuit machine.  Don’t get me wrong, I’d love one but I have that dang Zumba box sitting in my closet that I used once and I really don’t want to hear it from Sammy any more than I have to. The good thing is there are also lots of tutorials online that show you how you can make your own stencil using different mediums, for example using transparencies or vinyl. Now if you are super gung ho and have the time and patience, you can make one like this: P4163528  http://www.sawdustandembryos.com/2012/04/tutorial-how-to-make-your-own-stencil.html Or, if you’re on a budget, you can go to the dollar store, buy some shelf liner and go that route. contact_paper_stencil_createandbabble.com http://createandbabble.com/make-your-own-stencil-using-contact-paper/ The problem I’ve found in both cases is with the transparency, you still have to go out and buy the entire box of transparencies and may only use one and in most cases it still bleeds. And with the shelf liner, sometimes it’s hard to do anything other than one big shape. Again, both in my experience! What I want to show you on the other hand, is how to use something simple, as a stencil. Maybe even something you have on hand now. ************************ The other day, I found a stencil I knew would be perfect for this drab table I’ve had on hand that wasn’t quite “finished”: HighBoy1 I didn’t know exactly what it needed but when I saw these two notepads in the $1 bin at Michael’s, I thought now would be a great time to try out some stenciling (besides, I’ve had this table forever and it was free, so why not?!) IMG_1206 I decided to use the purple one and create a lace overlay on my table. IMG_1216
And just so you know, I didn’t have a stenciling brush so I just used a wide paintbrush. It still worked, I just didn’t use SO much paint so it wouldn’t bleed everywhere!!
(and yes, I have fat, ugly hands)
I just alternated the stencil various ways and this is what I came up with.

IMG_1263

IMG_1269IMG_1264
I used a small stencil for the border that I had on hand. I never thought I’d have a chance to use it because it was so small, and really thought it was pretty much useless! It turns out it worked perfectly for this lace overlay effect. So I guess it wasn’t too useless after all (go figure!)
I still can’t decide how I feel about this table. It’s kind of out of the norm for me, but again, it didn’t cost much to create and I’m all about that!! Let me know what you think and if you make something with a “do it yourself” stencil, send me a pic! I’d love to see what you come up with!
See you tomorrow for my Thursday treasure!
Rita






















4 comments:

Kammy Wielenga said...

RITA! I have several things to say about this post. First of all, cut the crap about "fat, ugly hands" - sheesh girl, they're HANDS and they don't look fat OR ugly. (okay, okay, I admit thinking the same thing when I see a pic of MY hands, but really, you're aren't!)
Next, I think the peak I'm getting of your table looks pretty cool...
and Third, I do DIY stencils too, but I use those clear paper saver folder things, which I think you can just buy a pack of five or something. Not sure, I get them free when my son does a project at sunday school. haha. Here's the link to mine:
http://www.kammyskorner.com/2011/10/diy-stencils-and-simple-stenciling-101.html
Okay, I'm done rambling. For now. :) Have a great day, Miss Rita!

Tami @ Curb Alert! said...

Rita, you are brilliant my friend - the dollar bin at Michaels? I would have never thought of that. I love your resourcefulness and the table turned out great! I love the way you think!
Tami

Twice Nice said...

Way to go thinking outside the box on the stationary!! That's brilliant, and I think the table looks dreamy. Your hands are perfect, and just look at what all they can do!

Lea Goossen said...

This turned out great! Just as an FYI, if you would like a transparancy but you don't want to use a whole box, go up to the service counter (Staples/Office Max, etc) and they will sell you individual transparencies! Here in my town it's 50cents per transparency sheet.