Monday, January 28, 2013

Good Things and Bad Things

I guess it’s really all in the way you look at things but in my case, these are definitely categorized correctly and you’ll see why!
GOOD:
Remember the other day I was telling you about my new camera and how I couldn’t find “good” spaces in my home, which got me thinking…hmmm, I need to clean up, I need new furniture and maybe a new house all together. Since none of the above are happening (with the exception of some cleaning) I figured the best thing to do is to start small.  How, you ask? By buying little odds and ends that are sure to put a smile on my face every time I see them. And that’s exactly what I did.
My first purchase was this TOTALLY Amazing vintage Ashtray.  Ok, no, I don’t smoke, but this guy was too precious not to pick up and use for something else! It was actually in my neighbors booth when I spotted it one day and fell in love! I told her I NEEDED to have it so she cut me a deal and gave me a discount! (LOVE YOU STACY!).
Now this vintage ashtray sits next to my kitchen sink and holds my sponges!

Meet Moby!
IMG_0725-001

IMG_0733IMG_0728
Yes, he makes me happy every time I do the dishes!
****************************************************
Next is this small tiny bird I found while thrifting one fine day!! I found it at the register and knew she’d look great sitting on my knick knack shelf in my bathroom.
Here she is in her new home for all my guests to see.  She doesn’t have a name yet. Any suggestions?
IMG_0605
Tell me she’s not the cutest!
I didn’t go picture crazy since this bird is so small and I mean she’s on a shelf…but know she makes me happy just being there!

and
now
for
the
BAD:
Going into this story, know it was user error so totally my fault.

I signed up for a flex plan at work this year for medical expenses knowing full well between me and Brianna, it will help in the long run. I elected a couple thousand dollars to be divided and withdrawn from my paychecks and over the course of a year. This amount is pretaxed and the only downfall is it’s “use it or lose it” rule, but for my family, we intend to use every penny! So GREAT, I’m all set up and ready to go…or not!

It’s set up through a debit card so before I took Brianna to the doctor the other day, I called to activate it. The lady helping me informed me that I didn’t elect medical coverage and instead elected dependent care. Which if you don’t know what that means, it means I can only use this money toward daycare. WHICH WOULD BE GREAT IF MY 15 AND 19 YEAR OLD WERE IN FREAKIN’ DAY CARE!  
Since they are not, I LOSE that money. Every check I get to say good bye to a hundred dollars because I was an idiot and wrote my election under the wrong column. And what’s even more stupid is on the form it says “comments'” and being the proud mother that I am, I wrote “daughter in college!!Smile”. You would think that would have red flagged someone! NOPE, it didn’t. I talked to HR numerous times to see what else fell under the category of dependent care but none fit me or my family.
Days of sobbing later and no answer to this catastrophe, I’m coming to terms with the fact that it is gone. It still pisses me off but hey, at least I have my bird and whale to make me feel better right?!?!
ugh. defeated!
Moral of the story:  PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR BENEFIT FORMS! Don’t pull a Rita. haha!
Well thank you for listening and if you have any tips on what to do here…I’m more than ALL EARS!
See you Thursday!
Rita

4 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

oh no!!!!! but at least moby is there to bring you some sunshine!

Twice Nice said...

That just stinks! And I've never understood those "use it or lose it" policies on the medical stuff. Really...whose money went into this?
I do love Sweet Tweet and Moby! Total Scores!

Jeanne Ireland said...

Just stopped in at your blog and now I am a follower. Great stuff!

Rita said...

Welcome Jeanne!!