Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fun With Mod Podge

So easy, anyone can do it! So let’s get to it shall we?!

Rule #1  Anything can be updated! – What does this mean for you? It means if you see something at a thrift store, garage sale or flea market (or hell.. even the curb), don’t discard it because it doesn’t match your color scheme. If it is something you know your home can’t life without, remember you can always make it match your style.

Exhibit A:
IMG_0645


I found these bamboo trays at my local thrift store for 65 cents each. Not really my style but I loved the ribbed chevron texture and for that price , I decided to just have fun with them.
Rule #2 When using Mod Podge remember you don’t have to always work with smooth surfaces! In fact, I love finding items with fun textures like these trays. You can work with the crevices and make the end result really interesting!
The next step was to spray paint. I opted for white and made sure I painted everything. You might ask, why paint the bamboo middle since that’s what I’m planning to decoupage? Since I’ll be decoupaging a lighter color paper, I want it to stand out against the white background. If I didn’t paint the background white, you wouldn’t be able to see the detail of the paper pattern.
IMG_0647
I recently found some cute yellow printed tissue paper at Michael’s in one of their $1 bins. I kind of had in mind that it would be used for this purpose eventually but didn’t realize it would be so soon.  Cool how that worked out.

IMG_0649IMG_0650

Rule #3 Trim your paper first-  Since I had to use two sheets of paper each, I would trim one and lay it to the side then do the same to the second piece. It was easier once I started to use my mod podge to apply a layer of paste on the tray, then adhere my first piece of paper then the second.
IMG_0654
IMG_0653
Rule #4 Don’t forget all the nooks and crannies- After you apply the paper, push it down with your fingers. Then apply a coat of mod podge with your brush pressing firmly so that you can see the texture underneath.
You can see in this next picture, the difference between the right and left side after I using my brush to get in all those crevices. See, much better!
IMG_0655
And for the final product:
IMG_0656
Rule #5 Don’t forget to seal the deal- I like to shellac mine just to make sure it is not going anywhere if it gets wet. Not to mention it is nice and shiny now too!!
These are both for sale in my booth. I’m sure they will brighten someone’s home!!
Hope you enjoyed, now go out and Mod Podge something!
That’s an order Smile

Rita

3 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

so fun! they have such a happy and sunny look now!

momma_drea said...

i love it..

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

What a brilliant idea, Rita. Love the texture!