Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tossed and Turned Tuesday- A Horse is a Horse

Of course unless…he is a little rocker fellow like this one!

DSCN2468

So still working on my sister’s table but in the mean time, here is the horse I’ve been working on in my spare time. Ha ha..spare time…that’s pretty funny!!

And you don’t have to adjust your monitor color, this grass is a yellow green due to being part dead and part weeds…I blame Sam.

Now the story behind this horse is he is probably as old as am. I was contacted by a lady who needed a rocking horse remodeled. It belong to her son and she was giving it to her grandchild. The problem was it was old and dirty and falling apart. Her husband wanted it to be stained and I warned her that you never know what’s hiding under old paint and when it is stained, EVERYTHING shows up. Case in point, all of this horse but she sled is painted with the same color stain. You can see the differences in the legs.

I opted to paint the bottom sled a tinted black stain color because it was pretty beat up and just needed something to ground it. I thought this worked.

This is what Billy looked like before…oh yeah…I named him. Hell, I worked on him so long I thought it wasn’t proper to call him “horse” anymore. I’ll keep that part from my client Smile

SandyHorse_bef1

SandyHorse_bef3

By the way, Billy was a blond and I made him a Brunette. I didn’t do it on purpose, I just couldn’t find hair for him to save my life. I think dark hair suites him just fine.

H
ere he is now:

DSCN2469-001DSCN2471-001DSCN2472-001DSCN2473-001

And there you have the new and improved Billy. He’s actually a pretty big horse. Don’t know if you can tell from my photos.

(I seriously need to look at getting a better camera don’t I)

Well, thanks for stopping by and have a great week!!
Rita

6 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i LOVE this! gorgeous and rustic and what kid wouldn't want this in their playroom! heck, i want it in my playroom! :)

Tami {Curb Alert!} said...

He looks fabulous! Poor guy looked sad and hideous before you did your magic!

Twice Nice said...

So glad Billy got your TLC! He looks great with his new locks, and I like the black rockers. Now he's off the shelf and back in the corral to be played with again.:-) Sniff, old toys always make me think of the Velveteen Rabbit!

Beth@Makemeprettyagain said...

OMG!!!I just found the EXACT same horse to do! I went to pick up a desk from a lady, and she brought out this sad horse. Mine also has the same beat up dingy old white mane and tail! So funny! I was going to shabby him white tho. And my friend said to try Joanns for some yarn or something to replace the hair. Where did you find the black???

Between Blue and Yellow said...

WOW! This is beautiful, so great that you left if wood. I recently refinished a horse too, but the client wanted it painted. Great job!

M Mossman said...

I re-did a horse much like this one only handmade by child's great-great-grandfather. They wanted a light colored mane & tail. I used 1/2" sisal rope (whatever size will fit your space) and glued one end of 12" lengths into the slot for hair. After it was dry I untwisted the sisal and partially separated the strands. It turned out great. It looked wavey and coarse like a real pony. There was a certain amount of short pieces/trash that 'combed' out but the finished look was great. I trimmed the forlock and shaped the mane where it needed it. The tail was the same but I started with longer pieces.
Your Billy looks great! I love to see these guys out at Christmas!