Thursday, August 16, 2012

Thrown Away Thursday- Sand, Sand, Sand!

I wanted to show you what I’ll be working on this week even though I KNOW I won’t be done by Tuesday!

This little guys needs a lot of work and I mean sanding like crazy!!

SandyHorse_bef1SandyHorse_bef3

He’s a rocking horse that I just LOVE but his owner wants him stained and kept as close to his original look as possible. Well that’s half true! His owner (that got in contact with me) was going to let me paint him. Her husband (co-owner) wanted it to be kept the same. Men! No vision I tell you. So I’ve been sanding him down daily, piece by piece. I haven’t gotten to his head yet and I’m sure that will be the hardest part but wish me well!

So this is still a work in progress and I have a very busy week ahead of me. Ashley goes off to college next week and we’ll have another going away party for her. Plus I’ve been working TONS lately and a little family drama never hurt anyone so lets throw that in the mix. Not immediate family just extended family drama! More on that later!

For now let me tell you about a small project I’m working that hopefully will leave you feeling like “YEAH, I can do that!!!”. So here it is!

My friend just bought a house and I’ve been looking for something to give her as a house warming gift. I’ve been thinking of a basket of STUFF that she’ll need. That is always a cool idea. Anyway the other day we were back to school shopping when I saw this bin of clearance stuff that I immediately ran to. I found this little sign for 70 cents that had a really great shape and I knew it could go on my “Basket O’ Awesome Stuff!”!

Here is the sign:

DSCN2419DSCN2421

Nice Right!! L O V E  but I wanted it to be chalkboard, so I painted the swirly design white to make it POP! (I only sprayed around the edges, that’s why you can see part of the riesling coming through!)

DSCN2422DSCN2423

 

Now time for the chalk board paint!DSCN2424

And just for visualization, I half sanded this sign. Now I didn’t go to town with the sander, I actually just tapped it with my sander and the white came right on through!

DSCN2425DSCN2426

And this is the final product! I started writing something else then erased. That’s what’s under the  “Happy Friday”.

DSCN2428

Have a great weekend and if I happen to finish the rocking horse, I’ll be posting pics!

Rita

2 comments:

Twice Nice said...

I love your sign redo!! That was a brilliant idea to go chalkboard with it. Your friend will have a great time with that gem! Best of luck with the "giddy up, giddy up"! I don't envy you that sanding!

Tami {Curb Alert!} said...

Cute sign! Can't wait to see the rocker!
The Block Party is up and running at Curb Alert! Would love for you to link up!
P.S. Family Drama...UGGGGHHHH!
Tami