Monday, July 30, 2012

When Before Equals UGLY and After Equals UGLY

Yeah, I’m not so proud of this piece but it had to be done and I was the one that had to do it.

See the back story to this piece is my Grandma has a best friend who lives down her street. This lady is a really sweet woman whom visits my grandma all the time. When she found out I redid furniture she asked if I could do something for her. I ended up redoing an end table she had that really came out nice! No before and after shots, sorry! Anyhow, it turns out she LOVED the table so much, she wanted me to redo yet another piece that is near and dear to her heart.

This little guy here:

Rosa_Bef

UGH!
I know what you’re thinking. How the heck is this near and dear to anyone’s heart. Yuk! I know I nearly gagged myself.

It’s about a foot tall and particle board and practically deteriorates in your hands.  Loooonnnggg sigh. The left side of the picture you can see a piece that came apart in transition. It bit the dust before I even touched it.  This left me thinking “what the hell am I going to do with this"???

I ended up using a butt load of wood filler just to give me something to paint and to hold those little particles of wood that felt like sand in my hands, together.

After sending word through my aunt that there wasn’t really anything to be done, she said that she only cared for it to be painted and possibly a stencil put on it. So that’s what I did and called it a day.

Here it is in all it’s glory!

photo (6)

photo (8)

I know, I know… big whoop, right ? Ha, even my stencil wasn’t cooperating. And do you see the crack in the right side? That happened after the filler and paint!! I don’t anticipate it to stay around too long but at least it’s final days will look a heck of a lot better than before.  Smile

So again, my question about the before and after going from ugly to not so much better…well what I do is make something pretty so that I can sleep at night!

Exhibit A:

Some random Home D├ęcor that needs lots of help. Let  me describe it in case you can’t tell from the picture. It is really heavy brass with glass sides and it has a ball of dead flowers glued to the center of it. Oh and let’s not forget the nice ribbon to really set it off. I found it for $4 at a thrift store.

DSCN2366DSCN2369

Woo Woo, nice huh! Can’t you see that hanging around in your home?

…What about now?

DSCN2372

I painted it a Periwinkle blue and added a candle. I may end up putting this on my front porch but I’m not sure yet. I may have to do something different with the candle or else I’ll have a puddle of wax with this Texas heat!

This was the only picture I took that came out half way decent. You can see the Slip-n-Slide out in the yard. We all got out there and had fun today with the In-laws!! And in case you’re wondering it was 107 degrees in Dallas today. So needless to say I did a lot of painting INSIDE!

Don’t forget to stop by Tomorrow for a MUCH BETTER REDO…I promise!

See you then,
Rita

5 comments:

Meg and Mum's said...

They were both so ugly but that lantern has turned out gorgeous. I would pay good money for that. As far as the table goes... well... yeh I'm feelin' ya. But it certainly does look 'better'. You are very sweet to do it for her :)

Megan said...

You really can't take the ugly out of something can't you! ha ha! I love the blue on the bottom piece, so happy!

Colleen said...

I know it's hard to believe but that table looks much better now, it's actually kind of cute!

I love how the lantern turned out, great choice of colour, it brought it to life, instead of looking like something that kills living things, like those poor dried flowers that were inside!!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

the lantern is adorable! :) the table, well i am with you!

Tami {Curb Alert!} said...

Rita, you just gave me the perfect idea for an old light fixture that I have. Thank you so much for the inspiration! (LOVE the blue!)
Tami