Monday, April 16, 2012

Tossed and Turned Tuesday- My Fireplace

When you live with someone who loves contemporary and you love vintage, then you get married and you have to decorate to fit the both of you, what do you do?

Well, here’s what I did!

DSCN2150

I know some of you are thinking “what’s the big whoop?”. Well before it was brown and I hated it. It used to be stark white before that and I hated it even more. I’m usually not this disgruntled I promise but this fireplace is a lose lose situation.

DSCN1970

After browsing the web and consulting with a few blog friends it became apparent that this fireplace needed to be redone. I don’t think accessories would have done it alone so after seeing pretty pictures of Cassie of Primitive and Proper’s gray fireplace, I started thinking about gray on my fireplace. The more I pictured it the more I liked it.

I ended up painting it “Elephant Gray” and glazed the wood mantle with a black/ brown concoction I came up with.  Also, if you notice I now have two doors (haha). The one to the left was hidden by a screen and a chair. Upon the recommendation of a friend, I put in two wicker blinds from Ikea. They are hard to see in this photo because of the crazy sun glare that seeps through my windows but trust me they look great!!

As far as the pictures, well I had originally thought of putting a mirror up there but Sammy didn’t like the idea. Then I thought of a nice big picture but the more we looked we never agreed. Sammy actually reminded me of these pictures. They even have have a little history too.

These are the first pictures I ever printed in the graphics department. I even cut them myself.  When Sammy and I split up I decided I needed to paint the kitchen of our town home. I painted it this cool green color and decorated the edge of the top border of the wall with these cool pictures I made. There were more then and my kitchen was only a few feet wide so it looked really great.  When we moved I hung them in our new house on a blank wall where the china cabinet is now and eventually they came down again.

I didn’t think they’d end up back on the wall and I’m glad they did!

DSCN2147

DSCN2148 

I still have a few ideas for sprucing it up for now, this’ll do.

Hope you enjoyed it as much as we are!

Rita

5 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

it looks awesome, rita! i love the gray, of course. :) and i love the pictures you mounted- they look great and i love that they have a story.

Twice Nice said...

Oh Rita, I love that color you painted the fireplace! And those pictures are so very cool!! I love the history too. Looks like you found a perfect compromise without comprimising style!

Bonnie said...

It looks great! I love, love, love the coffee art.

Katie said...

Big difference Rita!! I love the new gray! It seriously brightens up that space!! Looks great!

Megan said...

I heart it all, the grey the coffee prints, wow!!!