Monday, April 02, 2012

Tossed and Turned Tuesday – My Awesome New Drawers!

DSCN2083

Last week you saw my new chest of drawers that I fell madly in love with and coveted for my own. Well, I already had an idea in mind for what I wanted but was scared at what result I would get. Yes, ME,I was scared.

I knew I didn’t want the chalk finish of my Annie Sloan Paris Gray so some glazing would be involved, however, I also knew I didn’t want major glazing either. Kinda like a kid in a candy store, you kind of know what you want but you don’t know if you’ll end up with the right thing!

Looking at it now, I love the result. It’s not too bright gray like it was when I stared, not too shiny, not too distressed…it’s just perfect! For me and my room anyway. Now I can give Sammy his own chest of drawers!

Again, here’s what I started with:

DSCN2057

Nice and old and falling apart!

And After:

DSCN2081

And yes, that’s my shadow outline in the background (sorry).

Ready for more of me??? I wanted to show you how sometimes you have to mess up a bit to get the look you’re going for so I had Brianna take some photos of my goof up!

But first this is what I used to get my distressed result: Brown paint and water!

Warning this photo looks nasty but it’s just brown paint (promise)

DSCN2078

Yep, a paint and water mixture was slapped on and wiped off until I got the result I was looking for.

DSCN2069DSCN2060DSCN2061

EXCEPT…on this side, it didn’t come out QUITE like I wanted. Can you see the brown lines coming through? That WAS NOT supposed to happen!

DSCN2062

So in my case you take a coffee break and start again. REPAINT, distress, wipe…

DSCN2063

This is what it looks like now:

DSCN2088

DSCN2089

Now I just need to find a place for it in my room! I can’t wait to see how it looks against my dark accent wall! I’ll have to get back to you on that~

Thanks for stopping by!

Rita

fun parties you may find me at:

Tuesdays

homeworkRunning with Glitter

12 comments:

Kre8ive Life said...

Really really love your new piece. Can't wait to see what it looks like on your room.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

it's beautiful! i love the details and the finish looks amazing!

Twice Nice said...

Bravo, what a great save for the dresser in distress! That's a beautiful gray and you showed that glaze who was boss! Beautiful job Rita

suzyq said...

I love what you did!!!
I did one almost identical - these are beautiful pcs to work with, aren't they?
http://suzyq-vintagous.blogspot.ca/2011/11/newest-beauty.html
Hugs,
Suzan

Megan said...

Beautiful! I love the slight distressing, I can't wait to see where you put it!

Sally said...

Love it, Rita!!

Andi @ Jane of all crafts said...

Absolutely gorgeous Rita!! One of my faves!

Darling @ Junque 'n my Trunk said...

I love it!! I am a true believer that certain pieces were given certain hardware for a reason...it suits the piece! I love that you kept the original "jewels". (hardware)Nice work!

Katie said...

This is awesome Rita!! I love it! The glaze looks great! Can't wait to see it in your room!

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

I love this! What an awesome transformation. Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays.

Beth said...

You were the right person for this dresser. It turned out so pretty!

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

Wow, This looks great! I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas.