Thursday, March 08, 2012

Wedding idea and tip!

 

What happens when you take a plate

DSCN2021

And a bridal shower invitation?

DSCN2030

This is what you get:

DSCN2026

My mission was to  help my friend come up with an idea for her wedding shower.  She wanted her guests to sign something that she could hang on her wall rather than keep safe for years and never see.

We went to a thrift store and found the platter you see above.  It was yellow and had flowers painted on it before I started sanding it of course.

I already knew I would paint it white but we didn’t know what the design would be until she showed me her card that her friend made for her. This is the end result.  My friend loved it!

Total cost $5.00!!

Now I’m going to show you how you can do something similar.

First find a plate, platter, piece of wood…you name it !

I started by sanding down the flowers so you wouldn’t see the outline of the flowers when I painted it all. Oh and no need for priming, just give it a light sanding and spray paint it. (easy)

Now here’s how you’re going to get the design on the platter without having to freehand it. Don’t worry, it may be time consuming but it is simple to do! And you don’t need your circuit machine. I don’t have one! I want one…but I don’t have one :)

1. Take your design, for example the card I had on my computer screen. 

2. Blow it up as big as you need it to be on whatever you are transferring it to. Remember it doesn’t all have to fit on your screen, you can do it in pieces.

See how it takes up practically my whole computer screen.

DSCN2031

3. Take a piece of paper and hold it up the screen and start tracing. Not hard. You don’t want to ruin your screen.

DSCN2032

4. Once you’ve traced your design, take your paper off of the screen and retrace with a pen or marker. We’re going to trace the back side of this paper and you want to be able to see the image on the other side.

DSCN2034

5. Now flip your paper over and trace it once again with a pencil. This allows the picture to be replicated on your surface the correct way and not come out mirrored.

6.All you have to do now is put the paper, pencil side down onto your surface. You can either rub the image onto your surface with your finger pressing rather hard or retrace the whole dang thing one more time (I mean why not, you’ve memorized it by now) and it will leave a nice outline on your surface.

I don’t have a photo of it traced on my platter (sorry) but this is the side that should be facing you.

DSCN2035

7. Your image is now ready to be painted. In this case I used a purple permanent marker.  After the shower I’ll take the plate and seal it with a spray enamel.

DSCN2028 

That’s the cheap and easy way to get this result.

I hope it helps and if you decide to do something similar, send me a picture!!

Have a great weekend!
Rita

4 comments:

Andi @ Jane of all crafts said...

What a fantastic idea!!! This would be great for baby showers, milestone bdays all kinds of stuff! I love it!

christine said...

Wow! I love it. I honestly like the platter just with the design lol.

Megan said...

You are a genius! What a great idea, I super heart love it, plus I have 2 wedding coming up, so I'm going to have to try this!

Katie said...

This is so cute Rita!! Love how it turned out!