Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Little Contest That Could!

fail

First of all – Thrown away Thursday is taking a weekend off so I can catch up on “stuff” around the  house Sad smile

Second, I started thinking about my contest. It was really fun painting Bonnie’s dresser. In fact I loved it and she loves it and that’s what’s important!!

So I went back and found the post I “STARTED” to write before I started getting entries. Thought it was interesting and decided to post it today.

Here it is:

As I sat there, scratching my head thinking “what the heck did I do wrong?”, I had a lot of things running through my head all at once. The biggest of which is “I’m NOT a failure”. However, I did manage to fail in one area.  This is in fact the big picture.  You see, how can I expect to get my message across when I don’t really know what my big picture is.  You know how you tell yourself “This is what I want to do!” but later take a step back and ask yourself “is this really what I want to do”?!

Yeah, I go through that a lot.  So what I’m trying to say is, how can I accomplish what I want when I don’t even really know what that is??  The reason I’m writing this for you to read now is this contest really got me thinking!

I had this GREAT idea that there is so much furniture out there and so many people that I ASSUME could use my help fixing them up.  So what better way to do this than to start with a Contest? So I got started!  I wrote a newsletter, told friends and family, blogged and tweeted and even Facebooked all about it.  I woke up the next morning and bypassed my coffee and headed straight to my laptop…and there it was…NOTHING.  Not one comment. To say I was disappointed was an understatement.  That day I checked my email, kind of like a girl waiting to get a call from a guy and constantly checking to see if the phone had a dial tone.  Yeah that was me!

I finally got my first entry but this still left me…well confused.  It wasn’t until Sunday morning that I woke up at 6AM because I couldn’t sleep that I started thinking about this “big picture”.

So here’s what I came up with.

Could Curbside Creations be a success? YES

Is Curbside Creation profitable? Sometimes…YES

Do I want Curbside Creations to be a full time job?  Love to but it will take a long time to get it there.

Do I need a full time job?  YES!!

So the first set of facts were laid out for me.  I have to keep a full time job with benefits and Curbside Creations can only be my side project. Unfortunately in the wild world of economics, you have to live by a dollar sign. That’s just the truth. And I, like everyone else, have that dollar sign hanging over my head and it takes a 9-5 job to fulfill it.  But I don’t mind that. I’m lucky to be employed in a place that far outweighs the one I was previously at in many different “Rita” ways.  Meaning, ways that I desperately needed changes in.  It makes a world of difference when I have to drive further to a place that I love to go to in the morning (on a side note I had a girls night this past Friday–girls flick/dinner- with friends from work, how awesome is that!) 

So now that I got my facts straight, I looked at what “Curbside Creations” really is.  It’s not my hobby anymore, I think I’ve kind of outgrown the hobby stage.  It’s not a big time profitable company, it’s just not.  But I do realize now what it really is, ready…

“It’s my chance of helping you find the furniture you’ve dreamt about but never actually found. It’s my way of assisting you to take the things you couldn’t afford and create them without paying big money to get it.  It’s letting me take something you have and give it the look and feel you want without breaking the bank.  The way I see furniture is like most people see paper…It’s a canvas and the possibilities are endless. For some people, it’s harder to see beyond what’s in front of you. For others, it’s quite easy.  Whenever I get the chance to take a piece of furniture that someone would pass over and turn it to something I know a crazy person would pay hundreds for, that’s when I feel like I’m supposed to be doing this.”

It’s not for the profit and it never has been so why try to make it what it’s not?  I’m so not the salesman, I’m the total opposite actually. And if you know me, you know that!  While I’d love to scour the world and turn trash into treasures and get loads and loads of money to do it, I’m more in this for helping. That’s the kind of person I am. I’d rather give it to you than to charge you for it any day of the week. That’s pretty much me in a nut shell.

 

************************************************

I never posted it because I started to get entry’s and felt like less of a loser but the premise of this post still stays the same. I did some soul searching and am happy with the results. 

Thanks for listening to my REALLY LONG POST, now go get another cup of coffee because that always makes the world better!

Love,

Rita

5 comments:

Olivia said...

I don't know... I feel like this could potentially be a full time business for you but you can't sell yourself (and your work) short. You put a lot of time and heart into every piece that you do and you are talented and you're just going to get better with time. I think once you REALLY master your skill more people will take notice (also through more and more ways of online and local marketing) and will want to pay for your pieces at whatever prices you have listed. I just think you have a lot of great things going for you - you have an eye and talent, you have character and a sense of humor, and you're a fantastic human being and mother. Who wouldn't want to support someone with those qualities? BELIEVE in yourself. MASTER your talent. PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE. But be patient. All great things take time. I believe in you!!

Megan said...

Oh Rita! You are so awesomely talented, I hate hearing about the self doubt you went though! I fell ya though, I've listed things on CL and when they don't sell for MONTHS I get really down, like man that thing must not be awesome like I thought :) I think you are amazing at what you do and plainly love what you do so keep it up!

momtofatdogs said...

It takes time! I have purchased a long arm quilting machine AND a commercial 12 thread embroidery machine. I don't make enough money doing work for others to support myslef. i too, have to keep a regualr 9 to 5 job! But one day? I have faith that I will!

Keep up the good work, and keep showing PICTURES. You inspire me.

Sam

ashlie said...

Aw, Rita! I so wanted to enter your contest, but knew that I wouldn't be able to get anything shipped to Canada! You're super talented - I can't wait to see what you do next!

momtofatdogs said...

Hey! Here's another blog I have been lurking on...:
http://blueroofcabin.blogspot.com/
she just took the plunge & quit her day job.

Again, keep up the good work, you do such wonderful things to all you touch!!

Sam