Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Christmas Story

This is my Christmas story which will be long but it’s a good one. It might also make my husband sound bad, but he’s not, I promise! This just happens to take place when we went through a rough spot (like anyone else). This story will also flip flop a lot so try to keep up!

A few years back Sammy and I separated. It was our first year apart and not a good one for sure. I learned a lot that year, but one thing I thought I forgot was the meaning of Christmas. That year Ashley (being the oldest) began to question if Santa was real. This was a big deal for me. She wrote her letter early so that Santa would get her what she wanted and she could test her theory in the mean time. I never saw the letter so I had no idea what she wanted. I was doomed!

That year I told my friend Cindy, who was in charge of the Yorkshire Terrier Rescue at the time, that I thought about getting a dog and she said she had the perfect one. His name was Rascal. This was rare because she always placed dogs in the right home and never felt mine was fitting for her little rescue dogs (rude I know but I totally get it now). He had a limp due to his previous owners breaking his leg in 4 parts. He was malnutritioned and looked like a dog you’d see in Whoville. Perfect!

I’ve been allergic to animals my entire life so I never really wanted a dog but thought he might help the girls with the absence of their father.

The second part of my story has to do with my gift. You see I had wanted an Ice tea maker BADLY that year so when I found out that Sammy had bought one for his family’s white elephant gift exchange, I was devastated and heart broken. I don’t think he ever really knew that it was what I secretly wanted, but it was $20, just the right amount for the gift limit. Regardless, I wanted that dang tea maker!!

CHRISTMAS EVE:
On Christmas Eve, I had my Cindy’s husband Rod deliver Rascal to my house. I gave him the key, a crate and a note from Santa (on Santa’s Stationary of course) that read something to the effect of:

Dear Ashley and Brianna,
I didn’t get you all the gifts you asked for because I hoped you would do me a favor. Rascal needs a loving home and I knew you girls would be just the right owners for him. When I told him, he was so excited that he jumped in the sled and hurt his leg so you might have to watch out for that.
As for your lists, I gave most of the toys to other children in Irving who really needed them. I know you won’t mind.

Take care of Rascal and I know he’ll take care of you.
See you next year!
Santa

P.S.
Ashley- you should never stop believing!

With that Ashley, yelled out “I do believe in Santa! I do believe in Santa!”

My babies were happy and we had a dog!

I don’t quite remember if it was just after Christmas that I was back at work when I went to my car and I saw that I had a white gift waiting for me inside. I didn’t remember locking the doors but still didn’t know how that package got there. Surely it wasn’t for me??? I opened the passenger door and read the note. It said “ Rita – you should never stop believing”. It was my tea maker!! I cried and finally got my friend Debbie to confess to the gift. I honestly thought it was from santa because that’s what it felt like or a Christmas angel…and it was!

I’ve never forgotten that gift and the feeling of how the world around me was falling apart but one friend(or angel) completely turn my world around. Debbie did that for me that year and I will always be grateful for her.

This year I was reminded of that story when I received a note from a blog follower in Alaska named Stephanie Gonzalez. She wrote me this sweet note and asked if she could send me a gift. She makes coffee cup koozies from vintage fabric and told me to choose the fabric and she’d ship it out. She read that there is a Starbucks in the building where I now work and wanted me to have one. I was truly moved to tears! I’m 37 years old and I feel like I’m getting a gift from the North Pole.

I hope you enjoyed reading my longwinded story and I hope I inspire you to do a random act of kindness this holiday because it really is the little things that mean the most!

Stephanie – Thank You, Thank You for being SO sweet!
And Debbie- I’ll never stop believing!!

Rita
Rita

8 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i just loved reading this- what a sweet sweet story!!!!!!!!
merry christmas, friend! so glad to know you!

Katie said...

I'm glad you've got so many Christmas angels! :) Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Twice Nice said...

That's a lovely story Rita. I so love the idea of a random act of kindness! Have a wonderful Christmas! Deb

ashlie said...

Aw, what a lovely story! Merry Christmas, Rita!

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Rita~ I loved reading this story! It is in the true spirit of Christmas from your friends sweet gesture to the little puppy your girls were given by Santa. Happy Christmas to you........Sue

Megan said...

Rita! Why do you have to make me cry at 7 in the morning while I'm reading this! What a wonderful story!!!!!!

Reenie said...

What a great story. Merry Christmas!!

(I'd love to see the coffee cup koozie)

RuthDFW said...

So yes it is well after Christmas but I just discovered your delightful blog and was adding it to my Google Reader feed when I saw this post.

It was such a lovely story and I am happy to discover a bit of post-Christmas joy.