Monday, November 07, 2011

Tossed And Turned Tuesday – Air Puri-what??

I did it! I finished this, whatever the heck it is!  I have to say it nearly ended up in a pile and on fire but I held myself back and stayed with it until the end.

Without further ado (and a warning on lots of pictures), here it is:

021019020

I wish I could say this was a piece of cake, and it was, if the cake was made out of a butt load of crap and steel and was uncooperative to say the least!  BUT I PREVAILED!!

It has it’s quirks that’s for sure, which I’ll tell you about in a minute. But first let me show you some pictures and tell you the steps I took to get here:

1. I took off the back to expose “stuff” inside which needed to come out

009

2. SLOWLY I disassembled this piece by piece.

010

3.This is a picture of it after I took all the crap out of it, which was heavy and dusty and nasty. I even busted out the tools to get it all out!

011

4. The front was the tricky part.  You know how I loved this thing for its grid on the front, right?  Well I found out later that the grid part was plastic and attached to this metal mesh thing with velcro. VERY OLD VELCRO. And to make matters worse, it didn’t fit the front. It kind of sat in the middle adhered only by the velcro.  (Pay attention here, this will come into play later). Oh and I had to beat the mesh out of there with a hammer. and remove all the rusted nails. ewww.

012

5. Finally ( and I stress Finally,) I was left with this outer shell with a big whole in the middle. Don’t know if you can tell from this photo.

014

6. So being the DIYer that I am, I built a shelf! I found an extra piece of thin wood I had and cut it with an old saw to fit. I was like super woman this day!

015

So what came next was cleaning, sanding, painting etc.

Now here were the problems I encountered with this piece AFTER the initial gutting.

  1. Paint – I originally wanted it a bright orange. I thought that would look really cool. But what I got after buying the spray paint was more of a highlighter orange and not pretty at all. Fail #1
  2. Grid- It was plastic so I couldn’t drill into or put screws in it or it would break. Fail #2
  3. Grid(cont.)- It also didn’t fit the front so I had to come up with an idea to keep it on the front and still make the whole piece accessible to be used as a shelf. Nothing came to mind. Fail #3
  4. Magnets- read on! Fail #4

At the end I found some lime green paint and painted the interior with it. I think it looks great this color and I didn’t even know I had it. Smile

The front never worked the way I wanted to so I bought a pack of brackets and had this great idea that I would mount the brackets and glue magnets onto the grid so that it would come on and off easily.  Yeah, well that didn’t work. The magnets didn’t hold at all. It just fell right off.

I ended up gluing (epoxy) the grid to the brackets. I’m hoping it stays. So far, so good!

The bad thing is you have to go in through the back to put anything in or take anything out because the front’s not coming off (that’s the plan anyway).

So in the end, does it look much better? YES!
Did I make a treasure out of trash? Yes!
Is it economical? NO but it looks pretty!

Here they are again! Before and after:

005018

I hope you enjoyed my struggles and like the way it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think!

Rita (saving trash one day at a time)!

10 comments:

Megan said...

Wow Rita, it looks amazing! I love the green and white, there are about 5 steps in that process in which I would have given up :) You are superwoman!

Twice Nice said...

You are da bomb! I would have run screaming from this, but look how beautiful it turned out. That grid is fabulous and deserves to be showcased like you did. Way to go!
Deb

Aurora said...

This looks fantastic, you did a GREAT job!

Ooh So Shabby said...

I commend you for sticking with it, I don't think...no I know I wouldn't have been able to do it. However congrats because it does look really pretty. Great Job!
Sarah

~ Tami said...

Love the green! Looks great! :)
~Tami

ashlie said...

Awesome work! I think I would have given up with all that trouble!

Katie said...

Oh man! This bad boy would have been in the fire for sure! LOL!! Glad you decided to keep it though! It looks awesome! Who cares if you have to put stuff in from the back - this thing looks cool enough by itself! Love the color combo!

momma_drea said...

I love it! it looks awesome. Good job once again.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that is SO cool!!! so so freaking cool!

Kammy Wielenga said...

wow! Trash to treasure- got that right, girl!!!! haha! Looks pretty cool!!!