Monday, October 17, 2011

Tossed and Turned Tuesday-
Keepin' It In the Family



This plant stand took a totally different turn from what I originally had planned!! I was thinking bright colors, some retro paper... but not this retro... There's a story here folks so bear with me.

My grandparents have lived in their house for over fifty years and this since my grandfathers passing, lets just say things are changing around the house. Changing by way of remodeling. Although there are mixed feelings with the "new" changes going on, I think I've found a way to keep some of the permanent fixtures around!

I was actually quite thrilled when my aunt said she had something for me from the remodel and handed me the wallpaper from my grandparents accent wall for lord knows how many years. I was almost ecstatic!!

I knew then, that this plant stand was meant to be in the house and would dawn what else??? The living room wall paper... :) So here's what I did.

First, I removed those hideous leather circles.

I used them to trace circles onto the back of the wallpaper and cut them out.



I was going to use my mod podge to glue the circles down but this wallpaper was quite thick so I opted for heavy duty spray adhesive instead.

I haven't shown my aunt and grandma the finished product yet but I'm sure they'll be thrilled.

Again, here is what it looked like before:



I have to say even though this isn't what I originally had in mind (not to mention, pretty darn old school) it is very sentimental and I'm glad I can put a piece of history back into the old house~
Rita

7 comments:

Laura said...

That is a very sweet thing to do.

Debbie said...

This is fantastic--great job, Rita! I love that it has sentimental value...heart :)

momma_drea said...

I love it!!! I feel a lil better about the change. Thanks for keeping a part of POPO for me. love you!

Megan said...

That is so awesome, saving that wallpaper was genius. Soooo much better than the leather and that it's sentimental to you! Oh and 15 days until we get to hang out and SHOP! WOOHOO!

Kre8ive Life said...

I love all of your new projects. Thanks too for being my inspiration for today- What's (or who's) your inspiration Wednesday: http://kre8ivelife.blogspot.com/2011/10/whats-your-inspiration-wednesday-fellow.html

Andi @ Jane of all crafts said...

What a sweet way to remember your grandparents' home. Love how it turned out!

Olivia said...

omg! if you have leftover scraps of their wallpaper, you must make something for me!