Sunday, July 17, 2011

When Life Gives You Lemons...
You create a ROCK STAR out of it!!

My dumpster divin' buddy found this table for me that had been thrown out around his neighborhood.





In need of some TLC but totally doable and a small project...my favorite!



This was the only concern I had. The base is metal and the thick chipping paint went all the way up to the top so if it didn't all come off, I'd have some issues. I went ahead and started chipping away at the loose pieces. Some big chunks of paint came off but not like I thought it would.



I sanded the rough edges and figured when I painted it black as planned, it wouldn't show up. Right?...Wrong!! See the outline of the edges.



After I yelled out "CRAP BALLS", I hung my head, put my paint away and went to bed disappointed. That is until the creative fairy planted an idea in my head that night.

Moral of my story is when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade right? Well in this case, if you have cracks on your furniture that JUST WON'T COME OUT, you work with them and incorporate them in the design.

So that's what I did. I taped off all the cracked edges and painted it to match the blue top.





This is the result. My ROCK STAR TABLE! I don't know why I call it that but it reminds me of something you'd see at the Hard Rock Cafe.



So there it is. Up close it kind of looks like the entire thing was originally painted turquoise and covered in black. When the paint chipped away, it showed the original blue color. Kinda cool I think!

Oh! I'll see you Tuesday for a remarkable transformation. The Creative Juices kicked in by the name of Deb. See what she inspired me to do.

Thanks,

Rita

4 comments:

Megan said...

It does look Rock and Roll to me :) I really love the colors, great job Rita! Ummm how do I get a dumpster diving buddy?!?!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that is so cool and funky, rita!

Anonymous said...

do you sell your furniture? i think your pieces are to die for.

Rita said...

Yes, each piece is for sale- unless it's a piece I'm working on for someone already ;)