Sunday, June 12, 2011

IKEA table gets De-Masked!

Katie asked me if I could help her change up this IKEA Lack table to fit a little more with her decor. Just so you know, this sleek, straight, new, look isn't her style. So after we brainstormed we came up with the following ideas:
1. It should have some green to pop from the already yellow living room decor.
2. If possible some distressing would be good as she likes the worn, older furniture look.
3. I wanted to incorporate a design she mentioned she loved without making it look to modern.

hmmm. ideas. flowing.OK. think I got it.

So we start out with a way to modern IKEA Lack table.


The concept:


My tools: Green Apple spray paint, yellow accent paint from Martha Stewart, sander, and Damask stencil.


And as you can see below...the finished product. Which was HARD, I tell you, HARD. I remember why I hate IKEA tables. Although they are cheap, the smooth finish is PAPER. You can't distress Paper...only shred it. ugh. I just painted over the peeled paper and called it a day.
This table was the perfect size for her TV in her apartment so I did what I could. OH and the distressed look is just paint that I wiped across it to give it the warn look I wanted.

Let me know what you think.

Rita

3 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

ooh i think it looks so cute! and i love the springy happy colors!

Megan said...

I think it looks wonderful! The color is great and I really heart that stencil!!

Denise said...

I love the "new" table. I saw a similar style table at tar-jay the other day and passed on it because it was the wrong color. Now I may go back and get it!

Thanks for sharing and inspiring.