Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Tossed And Turned Tuesday - Adrian's desk!

Meet my nephew Adrian. He has his own room but is in need of a desk. His mom bought him a small desk, just right for him from a garage sale but it is really ugly!

He asked me to redo the desk based on his design(Be still my heart). Of course, I was up for the challenge!!





So we started with his design. He wanted it black and blue to match the colors in his room. This is the design he came up with:



He wanted a 3D looking desk with rectangles starting with black first. He even labeled the color pattern for me (so precious) !!


FIRST LETS TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT WE HAD TO WORK WITH:


1. The Desk (ugh needs some work!)

2. The Drawer (floral contact paper)

3. The Back- yes this is the back even though it has a knob. Totally WEIRD!


PREP:
I started off by removing all the contact paper and hardware.


Since the back part was attached by a "knob"(??) I took the knob off but decided to use the back piece since it was already cut to the size I needed. I used my staple gun to attach it and added Gorilla glue (picture came out blurry) to secure it down. It worked perfectly!



Then I filled the hole with wood filler and sanded it down.

I then sanded the entire piece. Even though it's not entirely wood, sanding helps the paint adhere. When I finish sanding I wiped it down to get all of the dust off.


After prepping it's ready for painting. In this case, I'm going to spray paint the entire desk black. I chose spray paint for two reasons. One, it'll adhere to this type of finish and won't come off when I pull off the tape for the lines on the top. Two, it's more durable than paint especially for a 8 going on 9 year old boy!!

PAINTING
I like to start at the bottom of all of my projects so I know I get good coverage all over. I begin by painting the entire desk black in light coats of black semi-gloss spray paint until I get a smooth covered finish.


Once the desk is completely dry I start marking off my lines with 3M removable tape. Keeping in mind that he wanted black on the outside, I put my tape there first. In order to keep the lines as even as possible, I took two pieces of tape and over lapped them crosswise. I cut off the access and it left me with a perfect square. I used the squares as guides to line my next set of lines.


Once the lines were all done, it's ready to paint the 3D graphic!


He originally wanted a darker blue howeverI decided that since the table is already black I would use the left over paint I used previously on his nightstand. It's a powder blue color so it may look white in the photos. It really set off the 3D look he was going for (not to mention it matched the nightstand:) Did I mention aunt's know best??

Before it dries, remove the tape. This way you can touch up or clean off as needed.





As the table dried, the drawer got a coat of the accent paint. Contact paper is no longer welcome in this drawer!


And THE FINISHED PRODUCT!


(I added my own touch to the drawer)
Much better back don't ya think?



Inside drawer!

He called me after I showed him the picture and said it was even better than he imagined! That's all I could ask for!



Rita

12 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that turned out awesome!!! wow, rita! i love that design!

momma_drea said...

Believe me when I say You are the BEST sister and Aunt EVER, He loves his desk and his new fishes that sit on his new desk. Thank you so much for your hard work on my babies. I love you more ALOT!! : )

Kim said...

That turned out amazing! I love the design and the color combination. You should submit that to the Better After blog - it's such a wonderful transformation! Thanks for including more of the process this time too. It was fun to see the steps.

Aurora said...

that came out awesome!!

Sarah said...

Looks fantastic! I love his written plan. If you still have it, I'd tape it to the underside of the drawer with his name and the date written on it - it might be a sweet surprise to find someday. I think he'll have this desk for a long time.

Weaver's Whimsy said...

It looks awesome! The taping and painting combo is never my favorite, but you made it look and sound easy with great results! Also, that weird knob on the back may have been a stopper type thing. Older furniture I've found have those so it doesn't wobble around when you push it up again a wall with crown molding around the bottom. : )

Cindy said...

I think it is perfect! Another amazing job, kiddo!

Ashleigh@Sincerely said...

Best Aunt ever! His little sketch is so adorable. I love the way this turned out!

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

This turned out amazing. So many times I pass something up cause it just looks ugly. Never would I have grabbed this desk but oh my how you have made it absolutely awesome!!!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

This is fabulous! How creative.

My Beautiful Life said...

Rita, this turned out fantastic. So adorable that he had already worked out the design in advance.

Linda Brown said...

so adorable :) You could put that desk in any room and it would look great...just started following your blog...can't wait for your next project :)