Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tossed And Turned Tuesday - $5 Chest!

Hope you all had a great weekend! I didn't get as much done as I'd like to, however we got this chest into it's new home in Ashley's room. Can you believe this is the same $5.00 chest I picked up from that garage sale!!

It is sitting in front of a window and looks great in front of the sheer drapes and adjacent orange accents in the room.

Let's take a look back down memory lane, shall we?



Before:

...and who could forget that blue material lining the drawers. Reminded me of an old pair of scrubs or something. Don't care...they're out!!



Instead I lined them with a great liner I found at the dollar store. The best thing about contact paper from the dollar store is they come in great prints and are cheap!

Lastly, my drawer close up!


Hope you liked my...er..well...Ashley's new chest of drawers!

It's amazing what you can create for under $10 if you keep an open (imaginative) mind!

Thanks for stopping by!
Rita ;)

5 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i love the simplicity of this one... it oculd be used almost anywhere! and it looks sooooo much better in white!

Megan said...

wow, the power of a little paint and some elbow grease never ceases to amaze me! Great job Rita!

V @ Invaluable Valuables said...

Looks fabulous ... did you paint the handles or source new ones ?

Fran Akk said...

Wow, wow, wow! I just stumbled onto your blog and I'm in love. Would you mind sharing your technique? Do you prime before you paint? What kind of paint do you use? Do you brush on or spray? I would love to create some pieces like yours out of my "trash".
Fran Akk

Rita said...

Hi Fran, I hope you get this. I didn't have your email attached so that I could reply, but if your reading, I can answer your questions. DO I prime? depends on the piece. With this guy I did becuase I was going to paint it white. I use Oops or mistinted paint from Home Depot or Lowes. So I never really know what I'm getting exactly. Keeps things interesting! I use both brush, or sponges, and spray paint. Again depends what how I want to transform it. I also use paper, decouge/mod podge, stencils, free hand, you name it, I've probably tried it. That's the cool thing about trash to treasures, you can't do worse than what it was (sometimes anyways!). Hope that helped, Rita.