Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Tossed and Turned Tuesday- Dana's Chair

Here she is.
Two weeks ago (yes, I took two weeks off), I showed you this chair my friend found at a church garage sale. It was old and worn to say the least and after she had it for a year in her garage, then I had it for about the same in mine...it was finally time for me to tackle it.

I've never done anything like this before and it was harder than heck. I've decided I need to go to an "upholstery" class because there were areas that I just could not understand. Needless to say, the seat was the only thing that got covered. I just didn't have it in me to tackle the back although I still like the way it looks without it.

Before- old, stained and yellow.






After- modern, polished and fabulous!








Now, here's a simple tutorial of the added embellishment that was well needed since I left the back bare:


First lets take a closer look at the back. This is what it looks like even after extensive wood filling. There were plenty of nails all over the place. I didn't like the way it looked even though I appreciated the character so I decided to compromise.


I found the perfect embellishment for the back of this chair from Home Depot. I knew that it could provide some cover up without taking away too much from the chair.

Here's what I did with it.


1.) I spray painted it black to match the chair.


2.) Got out my Gorilla Glue and a heavy duty clamp.
3.) Put a bead of glue around the center of the entire piece.


4.) This glue will expand so if you stay close to the center you'll be in good shape and you won't have glue oozing over the sides. This just shows the left side with glue. Just use it sparingly throughout. It's awesome stuff!



5.) I personally like to eyeball my stuff but if you'd rather measure, just make sure it's as centered as possible. Here's me eyeballing!

6.) Clamp that baby down and let it set.

And now you have a beautiful back that adds it's own character to the chair without taking away from the original charm!
Thanks again for stopping by!

Rita

I'll be posting this tutorial to

The DIY Club

having trouble downloading their charm so click above to link to their site and join the fun!

9 comments:

concretenprimroses said...

Well done. I like how the back looks unupholstered.
Kathy

Kammy Wielenga said...

I think it turned out awesome! And guess what, I have 2 sitting in my barn JUST LIKE THIS!!! Yeah, I'm scared to tackle them, and I probably will end up not doing the back as well.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

SO much better! it was pretty darn yucky before! love the added pillow!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

What a great transformation! You did an excellent job :)

lauren@WESTFURNITUREREVIVAL said...

THAT TURNED OUT GREAT....

LS Aguilar said...

Rita

I have a sofa you need to get started on yesterday!!!

Great job and love this the way it is.

Steven

Mom Taxi Julie said...

It's gorgeous!

Debra@Dejarenew.blogspot.com said...

Seen this on the DIY club contest. Its a beauty! New follower here. Hope you can swing by and check me out. Take care.

Deb
http://dejarenew.blogspot.com

Its So Very Cheri said...

I have a chair that looks almost identical. When I pulled it apart it had horse hair as the chair padding.

Thanks for joining the party.

Cheri