Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Place paper bag over mouth...commence hyperventilating

WARNING:
Before you read on I must warn you. There is a gorgeous mirror that I never thought I would cover with paint...but I did. So, for those of you with a love of old furniture and a weak stomach, you may want to stop reading now.

This old mirror was given to me by my in laws. The found it in the attic and gave it to me for a face lift. I immediately knew I only wanted to restore the old wood and try to save this mirror. I promise that was my intent.



Not knowing the condition of the wood on this piece or the mirror I began to dig deep into the layers of dust to see what I had to work with and what I could salvage.



Let me say, there wasn't much to go on. The wood was falling apart, the mirror was ruined and the back that holds the mirror in place was not replaceable. However I couldn't see this piece as a total loss. So I racked my brain trying to find a use for this beauty.

SIDE NOTE:
Typically I blog hop and have to say that I see many beautiful transformations, BUT, there are times I have to admit that I see something transformed and think "WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE THEY THINKING". There, I said it. Not all before and afters are better after. And normally I wouldn't paint something for the sake of painting it. Also in order to sleep tonight I must add that I did try every option before coating this beauty in green paint! Yes I said GREEN!


...there I feel better after venting. So what was an old antique mirror is now a green chalkboard that I'm hoping would fit in a little girls room, mounted to a wall perhaps??




I do have to admit that I like the way it turned out and am semi glad that it didn't end up at a landfill but half my heart wanted it to be restored to it's previous state. oh well..maybe next time.


Thanks for looking,
Rita

4 comments:

Miss Madison's Mommy said...

Well you can't save them all :) At least it's fabulous!

gail myrepurposedlife.net said...

beautifully done! it's gorgeous
gail

kathie said...

It is so unique!! I love the green color with the black of the chalkboard... wondering if the paint on the glass will chip at all? Because if not, I have some mirrors I will get started on right away!!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

rita, it looks fabulous! i jsut discovered how well chalkboard paint adheres to mirrors and just did one myself! it's amazing! thanks for joining my party!