Friday, October 08, 2010

The Long Boring Post About Me and My Blog

I thought it would be a good break between my before and after posts to say a bit about my blog other than what you see when you get here.

How it started:
It started one day last year when I felt bad for bombarding my family and friends with pictures of things I found and redid. They loved the emails (I think) but I started turning so much stuff that I figured rather than email, they can visit a blog posting and see them there. And thus this blog was born.

How it got it's name:
I originally wanted to have my sister's name in the title because she lives in Chicago and I miss her like crazy and she has always supported my creativity. She was a lot of the reason it got started in the first place. My husband, Sammy, came up with the name Curbside Creations. He said it fit because lots of stuff I found at the time came from people's curbs.

Why the blue background:
I have to give recognition to my friend Todd Brannon who I work with. He created the background for me based on a color I gave him and ran with it. He's awesome!!

Why only before and after photos:
I hated going to other blogs and reading tons and tons of extra stuff. Sometimes I was just in the mood to see the photos only. I figured family and friends get busy and don't want to read about how I changed it, but just see what I did to it before and after. I was only thinking of you!

Why don't I do tutorials about what I've done:
I've actually thought about it and honestly the only reason I don't is because I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I do it because it's fun and therapeutic but by no means am I an expert. I kind of get bothered when I read someones tutorial and then I try it out and it doesn't work. It gets really frustrating. Not to mention web tutorials are everywhere. Every blog I hop to anyway!

Why my photographs are bad:
Because I'm not a photographer and I have a small digital camera :)

What I really do for a living vs. what I want to do:
I work at a trade show company full time. It's my bread and butter but one day I'd love to work with furniture. Some how, some way. I would love that. It makes me happy. For now I'll keep dreaming about it.

My family:
I've been married to Sammy for 15 years. I have two daughters, Ashley and Brianna and two dogs, a yorkie, Reese and a Chow Chow named Tubby. They are very supportive of my "furniture craze" and only get tired of it sometimes. Like today when we went to the fair and I couldn't fit them in the car because I had furniture in the back. That's just an example :)

What's the whole point?
Here I am a year later and even though this blog started for one reason, it has taught me, for one thing, more about myself but especially more about furniture. I love that I can transform a piece of furniture, I love that I'm recycling and I love that I can see something that not a lot of people can see but love the end result.

The point is, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on furniture. You can reuse furniture as much as you want. Scour craigslist, shop at thrift stores, and climb in the garage for old furniture. Those are usually the best pieces!! Look up photos from Anthropology, Pottery Barn and Z Gallery and base your design off of those expensive pieces. I promise you'll save money and probably get a better looking piece.

...and if you need help, let me know. I'd love to help.

Thanks for following my blog,
Rita :)

3 comments:

Miss Madison's Mommy said...

Love your blog and I love that you get to the point. Keep it up 'cause I be stalking you :)

Katie Kubler said...

okay, so glad i found your blog! Im OBSESSED!!!

btw new post on my blog about Health:) In response to my original Jillian Michaels post. Check it out!

http://thekublers.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I well understand it. I can help with the question decision. Together we can find the decision.