Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Ashtray That Almost Caused A Divorce.




Here's his story.
If you're a furniture/ everything collector, you'll understand.
If you're a mother, you'll understand.
If you're married to a guy that gives you "The LOOK" when you bring junk home, YOU'LL UNDERSTAND!


So one day I stopped by a garage sale and found this vintage ashtray. I knew I had to bring it home and it had to be painted a BRIGHT color (side note: no, I'm not a smoker). I loved it and knew it had to have a good home other than the garage of crap the guy I bought it from had it hiding in.
Now I was a little nervous to bring it in the house after the tons of other stuff I bring home so I hid it in the front closet. I knew Sammy wouldn't look in there.
One evening during dinner, I said something and got my youngest daughter in trouble. Her revenge you ask... these words... "Dad, mom's hiding an ashtray in the front closet". And with that, he turned to me and said "No. Please No. " I nodded in defeat. Yes I was hiding an ashtray in the closet. His reply to my nodding: "just please tell me it isn't one of those hideous old stand up ashtrays." So I walked over to the closet and said "like this one". He hung his head in disbelief. Funny how the tables turned huh?
Well I didn't really get in trouble too bad, not to the point of divorce anyway. But I knew then I couldn't keep it so I painted it a bright color and sold it at the flea market this weekend.
AND BY THE WAY... I got lots of compliments on it, thank you very much~


Rita

4 comments:

Miss Madison's Mommy said...

That is the best story I've heard in a while! Don't turn on your baby girl, she'll get ya back :) I loved the color you used!

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

It's beautiful though! Good story and GREAT color!

Olivia said...

omg i love this! i actually like the before and after equally. sammy will never understand :)

Kammy Wielenga said...

This really made me laugh and nod my head - I too am a girl who hides her "great" finds from her hubby... then redoes them, sells them, and says "SEE?!" haha. You do some awesome stuff - I'm getting great ideas! From Kammy at http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com